Library Week began over 35 years ago to honour the important role libraries play in our community. Each year we celebrate our Library community by running a week of fun free events for all ages.
Library Card Design Art Class
Monday 14 August, 3:00pm - 5:00pm
Learn how to turn your ideas into beautiful designs. Use what you learn in the class to enter our Library Card competition. The winning design will be printed on our next run of 2000 Library cards.
Big Book Quiz: You vs Us
Tuesday 15 August, starting at 6.45pm
Do you think you know a lot about books? Do you love to read? Get together a team of four and pit your book knowledge against our crack team of librarians in our Big Book Quiz – the You v Us edition.
Famous People Dress Up
Thursday 17 August
Library staff will be dressing up as a famous character for the day. Come along dressed up and receive a free library voucher. Can you guess who we are dressed up as? Vouchers to be rewarded for correct guesses.
Friday 18 August, 3:30pm - 5:00pm
Learn how to decorate like a pro. Come and decorate a cup cake- cup cakes, icing and equipment are supplied.
Meet and greet animals from Furever Homes
Saturday 19 August, 10:00am - 12:00pm
This is an opportunity to meet and interact with some of the animals from Furever Homes. You will also learn how to take care of them and what animals need for a safe, secure home. Furever Homes will also have a stall in the foyer.
Sunday 20 August, 12:00pm - 1:00pm
Join the Southland Poets for an open mic session. Share your poetry, or sit back, relax and enjoy the readings of others.
Come into the Library between 14th - 20th August for our fine amnesty. Donate an item on the list to go to Furever Homes, and for each item donated we will wipe $5.00 of library fine. This is an opportunity to return lost and overdue items and ‘pay’ the fine by donating to this worthy cause. Accepted items include:
- Cat/dog food
- Cat/dog toys
- Cat litter
- Leads and collars
Please note that the $5 amnesty covers overdue fines only and cannot be used for book replacement charges.
Come see the walls of our foyer filled with pictures and descriptions of our Library users. Our awesome members are amazing and diverse and deserve to be celebrated! You can even add your own photo and description during the week.
Come along to our lunchtime book talks in the library foyer between 12:00pm and 1:00pm. From Monday through to Friday we will have 3 or 4 special guests each day who will share their 3 favourite books with us. Maybe they will share one of your favourites!
|12:00pm||Lynley Dear||Lloyd Esler||Gretchen Blomfield||Gerry Hampton||Becs Amundsen|
|12:15pm||Cilla McQueen||Di Bonisch||Simon Edwards||Donald Cunningham||Angela Bain|
|12:30pm||Joanne Forbes||Karen Necklen||Steven Broad||Linda Te Au|
Come and explore your library with our ever-popular scavenger hunt! You’ll need to visit each department to find all the answers and we’re sure you’ll discover something new about us! There will be two prize draws – one for kids and one for adults.
Last Year, we ran a competition for Kids to get their design put on one of our Library Cards. The lucky winner was Joe Matsuo, whose Matariki design was printed onto 1000 cards. These cards have been our most popular over the past year, and we recently just ran out of them. We decided to run another competition for our next batch of cards. This time we have opened the competition up to all ages.
- The theme is "bright and colourful"
- No metallic colours and / or glitter may be used
- Designs must be on an A3 or A4 piece of paper
- Can be portrait or landscape
- Entries must be returned with the attached entry form by the 17th of August 2017, 7:00pm
- Winners to be announced on the 18th of August 2017
- Best design (ages 0 -12): $50 Warehouse stationary voucher
- Best design (ages 13 - 17): $50 Warehouse stationary voucher
- Best design (ages 18+): $50 Warehouse stationary voucher
- Overall best design: Samsung Galaxy Tablet, and your design printed on our next batch of Library cards.
For more information, please read through the entry form carefully. We have also provided a FAQ document to answer common questions about this competition.
For any other queries about this competition, please contact Digital and Communications Manager, Bonnie Mager, on 03 2111 763 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Each day a different staff member will be given the honour of running the Library Snapchat. Follow us (invlibrary) on Snapchat to see behind the scenes footage of our library and learn all our secrets.
- Monday 14 – Follow Archivist Rebecca and the Archives team to learn all about how our Archives work and the hard work that goes into preserving all your records
- Tuesday 15 – Follow Social Media Manager Bonnie and the Facebook Team to see how we come up with our Facebook ideas, and how it all gets made.
- Wednesday 16 – Follow Storytelling Guru Cris. See how she plans and prepares her awesome crafts and learn all about her creative side
- Thursday 17 – Follow Magazine buyer Michelle and the processing team as they get your items ready for the shelves.
- Friday 18 – Follow IT star Ben to learn all about the hard work the IT boys do each day – and be treated to the very best dad jokes.